Pirates in Duluth, MN?
While I may have wanted to throw on my pirate patch (what you don’t have one?), and say “Argh” this weekend, the Tall Ships event is so much more than that! Those of us who live here or anywhere around Lake Superior are used to the big freighters that come in and out of our port. But for those visiting, these ships are like giants swimming in (and sometimes beaching themselves on the shore).
The Tall Ships event, on the other hand, is a whole other experience. You see these types of ships in movies, but even the best cinematography can’t beat the real thing. It’s like seeing something exotic or other worldly, and some of these vessels are absolutely huge! You hold your breath as they sail in under the Aerial Lift Bridge. Even if you don’t purchase a ticket and visit the festival grounds, it’s worth it to watch them come into port, hear the cannons fire, and snap a few photos to convince your friends that Pirates invaded Duluth, MN.
I often wonder why someone would choose to stay at Canal Park Lodge in Duluth, MN over other local hotels. I’m sure there are various reasons ranging from price to specific amenities, but I wanted to know – why do we stand out? I know I’m bias, so I did some research. Duluth, MN is not exactly a small town, but it’s not a large city either. We have a lot of hotels both in Duluth and just across the bridge, in Superior, WI. So what makes a discerning person choose our beautiful Duluth hotel? I searched through online reviews of our hotel, analyzed guest surveys, and bugged our staff. Then I broke down my results into five categories. Here’s what I found.
- One of the top reasons people choose our Duluth, MN hotel is our location. Not exactly surprising since we’re on Lake Superior, near downtown Duluth, and nestled in Canal Park. You really can’t get any better than that. Being on the edge of Canal Park means we don’t get as much street noise, and the lakewalk is out our back door. Perfect!
- Another top reason, we are very involved in our community, participating in many local Duluth events, associations, and organizations all with the goal of improving our very find city. We use local vendors whenever possible. And, since we’re one of the newest hotels in Duluth, we took advantage of building our hotel as green as possible. Check out our page about our green efforts!
- The view, yes I said it before, but our view of Lake Superior is amazing and often commented about. I know our lakeside rooms are slightly more expensive, but a balcony view of the great Lake Superior is worth every penny. Sitting on your balcony at our hotel, sipping your favorite beverage, and watching the ships come in, the waves hitting the shore, or the dolphins jumping (ok just kidding), it’s one of the best ways to experience Duluth.
- A little something extra, isn’t that always nice? We try and have a variety of specials, packages, and deals going on throughout the year. Personally I’d take a massage, flowers in my room, truffles, and Little Angie’s famous chips & salsa combined with a few coronas… My kids would like the Adventure Zone package. (hint, hint to my dear spouse)
- Besides the great location in Canal Park, the view of Lake Superior, the deals, the warm fuzzy of the green and local community support, what I was most proud to find, is the many comments about our friendly, helpful staff. It says a lot about our hotel, that people would come back just because the staff here are great. I read review after review of how happy guests were with our staff, the clean rooms, the quick response to inquiries, and more. Other Duluth, MN hotels may have good rooms, clean sheets, and a decent location, but Canal Park Lodge really stands out when it comes to amazing staff.
A large part of Minnesota, including Duluth, just got another dusting of snow… (some may say we got dumped on, shhhhh haters)! In some parts of the country March is the beginning of spring, but lets face it, for Minnesota it’s more like, “here have some snow, and maybe a little bit more, and maybe even more… You like snow on top of your snow, right?”
Fortunately, March is warmer, often sunnier, and it’s the best time for snow bunnies to vacation here! So, dash away that cabin fever and enjoy what I’m coining “Snow Bunny Month” (ok don’t google that…)
Unless you want to see cute rabbits in the snow!!)
Seriously though, this is a great time to book a winter vacation. Spirit Mountain offers more than just great skiing/snowboarding, their adventure park is amazing (for all ages). Canal Park’s Adventure Zone is in walking distance from Canal Park Lodge (wall climbing, mini putt, batting cages and much, much more). Think you’ve seen it all? How about the brand new Canal Park Brewery, just next door.
Embrace these last few weeks of winter (it’ll go faster)!
The largest holiday light display in the Midwest! Not to miss, the 128′ tree with 50,000 LED lights that “dance” to the music.
Visit with Santa, ride the jingle bus, and enjoy a stroll through beautiful Canal Park all lit up with thousands of lights on whimsical displays.
Saturday November 17 – Wednesday December 26, 2012
Sunday – Thursday 5pm – 9pm
Friday – Saturday 5pm – 10pm
Visit with Santa info: http://www.bentleyvilleusa.org/Home/Visit_with_Santa.aspx
Children are encouraged to visit with Santa Claus from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 every night from November 17 through December 23, 2012.
DIRECTIONS: Canal Park Lodge to Bentleyville.
-Your friendly staff at Canal Park Lodge!
Most of us Minnesotan’s aren’t used to hot weather, so the near 100 degree, fire breathing, heat wave that blew through Duluth this week, is not missed by this blogger. Thank goodness Canal Park Lodge has air conditioning or I may have jumped in the lake. We do have a beautiful pebble beach just out our back patio. Very tempting. If you’ve never been to Duluth, MN, or even if you have, you may not know just how amazing and unique Lake Superior’s beaches are just down the road or up the shore. From outcropping cliffs, to rolling rock, to white sandy beaches (you’ll swear you’re in the tropics). Just a short drive, or a decent walk across the lift bridge and you’ll find miles of fine sandy beaches. Sand castle heaven!
Come visit us and see for yourself. Sure the water temperature won’t remind you of your mediterranean vacation, but it sure feels good to this Minnesotan.