Pirates in Duluth, MN?
While I may have wanted to throw on my pirate patch (what you don’t have one?), and say “Argh” this weekend, the Tall Ships event is so much more than that! Those of us who live here or anywhere around Lake Superior are used to the big freighters that come in and out of our port. But for those visiting, these ships are like giants swimming in (and sometimes beaching themselves on the shore).
The Tall Ships event, on the other hand, is a whole other experience. You see these types of ships in movies, but even the best cinematography can’t beat the real thing. It’s like seeing something exotic or other worldly, and some of these vessels are absolutely huge! You hold your breath as they sail in under the Aerial Lift Bridge. Even if you don’t purchase a ticket and visit the festival grounds, it’s worth it to watch them come into port, hear the cannons fire, and snap a few photos to convince your friends that Pirates invaded Duluth, MN.
I often wonder why someone would choose to stay at Canal Park Lodge in Duluth, MN over other local hotels. I’m sure there are various reasons ranging from price to specific amenities, but I wanted to know – why do we stand out? I know I’m bias, so I did some research. Duluth, MN is not exactly a small town, but it’s not a large city either. We have a lot of hotels both in Duluth and just across the bridge, in Superior, WI. So what makes a discerning person choose our beautiful Duluth hotel? I searched through online reviews of our hotel, analyzed guest surveys, and bugged our staff. Then I broke down my results into five categories. Here’s what I found.
- One of the top reasons people choose our Duluth, MN hotel is our location. Not exactly surprising since we’re on Lake Superior, near downtown Duluth, and nestled in Canal Park. You really can’t get any better than that. Being on the edge of Canal Park means we don’t get as much street noise, and the lakewalk is out our back door. Perfect!
- Another top reason, we are very involved in our community, participating in many local Duluth events, associations, and organizations all with the goal of improving our very find city. We use local vendors whenever possible. And, since we’re one of the newest hotels in Duluth, we took advantage of building our hotel as green as possible. Check out our page about our green efforts!
- The view, yes I said it before, but our view of Lake Superior is amazing and often commented about. I know our lakeside rooms are slightly more expensive, but a balcony view of the great Lake Superior is worth every penny. Sitting on your balcony at our hotel, sipping your favorite beverage, and watching the ships come in, the waves hitting the shore, or the dolphins jumping (ok just kidding), it’s one of the best ways to experience Duluth.
- A little something extra, isn’t that always nice? We try and have a variety of specials, packages, and deals going on throughout the year. Personally I’d take a massage, flowers in my room, truffles, and Little Angie’s famous chips & salsa combined with a few coronas… My kids would like the Adventure Zone package. (hint, hint to my dear spouse)
- Besides the great location in Canal Park, the view of Lake Superior, the deals, the warm fuzzy of the green and local community support, what I was most proud to find, is the many comments about our friendly, helpful staff. It says a lot about our hotel, that people would come back just because the staff here are great. I read review after review of how happy guests were with our staff, the clean rooms, the quick response to inquiries, and more. Other Duluth, MN hotels may have good rooms, clean sheets, and a decent location, but Canal Park Lodge really stands out when it comes to amazing staff.
Maybe your New Years resolution is to travel more, be more adventurous, or spontaneous? Not lose 5 pounds, right? That’s what everyone says… (ok maybe closer to 10)
If I learned anything from watching The Hobbit recently, it’s that we all could use a little adventure! So why not make your way to Duluth. Sure you could fly off to some sandy beach and watch dolphins jumping through waves, but where is the adventure in that? Sounds a little too cushy to me. Instead, dig out your boots, snowshoes, skis, snowboard, sled, ice skates, full-body snowsuit, ski mask, and everything fleece, and make your way to Canal Park Lodge. Sure it’s pretty luxurious here at the lodge with all the amenities, comfy beds, swimming pool, etc. but you will probably encounter a snow beast along the way (those blinking trucks with big shovels on the front). Maybe you’ll see epic waves on Lake Superior from your balcony. Witness miniature icebergs battle, crashing onto the frozen beach. You could expand your journey and visit Duluth’s great mountain – Spirit Mountain! Tame the slopes, fly down the zip line, hit the rails on the coaster, or grab a tube to ensure you get a healthy dose of snow in your face. (we have discounted lift tickets) And finally, as with any great adventure, end your evening with a warm drink. Little Angie’s Opulent bar and the new Canal Park Brewery are both highly recommended!
Thank you to all of the vendors and other sponsors that made this event possible. We had a great time! I’d like to think our booth was the most entertaining. If you stopped by I’m sure you left with a smile and perhaps a large, but light weight fashion accessory.
We highly recommend this event next year. It’s one of the few free family events in town that’s sure to please all ages.
It’s time for the 4th Annual Lakewalk Festival – Family Fun for Everyone!
For the most up-to-date information on this great event, check out Downtownduluth.com/events.htm or on Facebook.
The fun starts Friday evening with a movie in the park. (Happy Feet at Leif Erikson Park)
On Saturday stop by the Lake Superior Marine Museum to pick up your passport and start your adventure! (Collect passport stamps at a variety of stations to win free ice cream!!)
Some quick highlights of what you could do and see this weekend:
Free rides on the North Shore Scenic Railroad
Duluth’s Top Dog Contest
Puppy Pool Party
Canal Park Lodge staff will be helping with the festivities, so stop on by and say hi.
See the 4th Annual Duluth Lakewalk Festival Poster for details.